Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake

I have often times complained to Nate about not ever having experienced an earthquake. Growing up in Oregon it was always such a "California" thing and in some ways sounded kind-of exciting. No longer do I have such outlandish feelings about something so SCARY!! I experienced my first one today, 5.4 on the rector scale and I never want to feel one again.

I had just laid June down for her nap and was about to take one of my own. I had some laundry on the bed that I slightly scooted over so I could have some room to lay down (now you know my house keeping dirty secrets) and a blanket fell on the floor. At the exact same moment the blanket fell on the floor I felt a slight jerk. It took me a long time to register that the jerk wasn’t because of the falling blanket but because of an earth quake. I instantly picked up the phone and called Nate (before all the circuits went down) to see if he had felt it and he said his building was still shaking at the time I called. Luckily he was there to calm me down and help me through a very traumatizing experience.

The earthquake left a little memento above our laundry room door... (it's hard too see, I know)







6 comments:

dana said...

I can't believe it left a crack in your wall. That's crazy. Yea, I grew up here but no matter how many times you've felt an earthquake they are still HORRIBLE. And once it starts shaking, you never know what you're in for...small? big? HUGE? aftershocks? I hate hate hate it. We were home at the time too and I held Lucy while the shaking went on. When it was over she just smiled and said "all done!" I guess she doesn't mind the earth MOVING.
You are a real californian now!

And yes, I didn't make it to your house today. I'll get her gift to her sometime. Hope the shower went well!

Andrea Bemis said...

A couple of months ago Nate and I were talking about how weird it was that I have only lived in Idaho and MO and have felt an earthquake in both states but all the time he has lived in CA he hadn't. They are crazy! I am so sorry for the traumatic experience and I am even more sorry that it left behind a souvenir. I hope all is ok!

Kristi David said...

Hated it too - I was babysitting Hadley at the time also. I'm not a big fan of them and I hope we don't have to experience another one any time soon!

Nicole said...

So crazy; glad you guys are okay.

Jenny said...

Glad you guys are okay! Scary times! We had so much fun with you guys..June is so darling! Keep in touch and let us know how you are..and I am adding you to my blog so I can check in on you guys too..thanks again for entertaining us while we were there! Jen

Stephanie said...

That's scary. I would have panicked as well being home alone with your kid. I am glad you guys are okay. Too bad about the crack, but I guess it could have been worse...